Resort Shirakami - Seeing the "Mt Fuji" of Tohoku

I have finally found time to write more about my Tohoku trip last year!
With a JR East Tohoku Area Pass, I have managed to visit many places, from Tokyo to Nikko, Sendai and Matsushima, Iwate and Aomori. :)
I am also glad to be able to board two of JR East's Joyful trains: the Pokemon with YOU train and Resort Shirakami (Bune and Kumagera).
So here I would like to share about these trains with you!
I'll talk about:
- What is Resort Shirakami
- The train route
- Reservation of the train
- Boarding the train
What is Resort Shirakami
![]() |
| Resort Shirakami - Buna |
![]() |
| Resorot Shirakami - Aoike |
![]() |
| Resort Shirakami - Kumagera |
All three designs of the Resort Shirakami are different, so you can enjoy the train along its route between Akita and Aomori. The train runs on a hybrid system - diesel engine (acceleration) + lithium ion batteries (start up) to operate the motor. When the train decelerates, the motor acts as a generator, while Shirakami's brake system uses the energy to convert to electricity that is restored in the batteries.
Internally, all of the Resort Shirakami has four cars that consists of the combination of the following: (1) Event space + Observation Room, (2) Ordinary Car reserved seats, (3) Box Seats, and (4) the ORAHO counter.
The Train Route of Resort Shirakami
![]() |
| Resort Shirakami route on Gono Line |
Through the scenic train, you can enjoy the seaside view from this train itself. They also offer multiple stops. If you are heading to Shirakami Sanchi, a beautiful place with great landscapes, you can stop at Juniko and make a transfer to a bus.
How to Reserve for Resort Shirakami
Boarding the Resort Shirakami
![]() |
| Promotional Image of Buna |
![]() |
| Shirakami - Buna |
![]() |
| My brain literally was so bad I only managed to record a video and making a screenshot out of it ugh |
![]() |
| Oof I didn't notice my ticket was upside down until now lol |
![]() |
| The joy of not sharing seats while having my favorite convenience store muscat water all to myself |
![]() |
| This is not Mt. Fuji, but Mt. Iwaki |










0 comments