Why I Soak but Do Not Swim | Jin's Musings
Why I Soak but Do Not Swim
The onsen keeps its promises. The ocean makes none. That difference is why I sink into one and stand at the edge of the other, and why both acts feel like a conversation with the same element in entirely different languages.
I do not know how to swim. I say this not as a confession of fear—though there is fear—but as a statement of fact, the way one might say they do not know how to play the piano or speak Korean. It is a skill that was never acquired, an absence that has settled so deeply into my identity that I rarely think to question it. And yet, I have spent seven years seeking out water in Japan. I have soaked in onsens from Hokkaido to Kyushu, public baths and private rotenburos, 5am solitary soaks and midnight soaks shared with friends. I have let hot water hold me more times than I can count, and I have never once considered entering the sea.
This is not a contradiction. It is a precise, quiet distinction—one that Thales, the first philosopher, might have understood, and one that I have only recently begun to articulate for myself.
The Water That Agreements Made
Thales of Miletus, thinking about the world in the sixth century BCE, proposed that water is the arche—the originating substance, the prime matter from which all things come and to which all things return. It is a beautiful and unsettling idea: we are made of water, we emerge from it, we dissolve back into it. The element that gives life is also the element that can take it. Water is both origin and dissolution, mother and erasure.
When I step into an onsen, I am stepping into water that has been contained—literally, by human hands, by architecture, by the careful engineering of a bath. It is water that has been heated to a precise temperature, filtered, held in a vessel of cypress or stone. It is water that has made, through the silent negotiation of design, a kind of contract with the body entering it. I will hold you, it says. I will not take you. I will warm you and then I will let you go.
The contract is not metaphorical. The edge of the bath is real. The depth is known. The temperature is chosen. You enter, you soak, you leave. The water does not pursue you. It does not pull you under. It does not demand anything but presence. This is why I trust it. Not because it is safe in some abstract sense, but because it has agreed, in the language of its making, to be safe.
The Ocean, the Sublime
The ocean is different.
I have stood at the edge of the sea in Japan—on the coast of Hokkaido, looking out from Shiretoko—and felt the difference before I had words for it. The ocean does not negotiate. It does not care about your comfort, your safety, your ability to float. It is vast and cold and indifferent, moving to its own rhythms, answering only to the moon and the wind and the deep currents that have no name. It is Thales' arche in its untamed form: the source of everything, yes, but also the chaos before the contract.
The philosophers of the eighteenth century had a word for this: the sublime. Edmund Burke and Immanuel Kant wrote about the experience of standing before something that is too vast, too powerful, too indifferent to be apprehended comfortably. The sublime is not beauty, though it can be beautiful. It is awe mixed with terror—the shudder of recognition that you are small, and the thing before you is not, and it does not care whether you live or die. A mountain range. A storm. The ocean.
I do not enter the ocean because I understand, at a level deeper than logic, that it has made no promises to me. The water that fills an onsen is the same water, chemically, H₂O — okay, plus a tad of technical NaCl, but we are ignoring salt today — it's the same substance that Thales saw as the root of all things. But the relationship is different. The onsen water has been asked to hold me. The ocean water has not been asked anything. It simply is.
What the Bath Asks
The bath asks nothing of me but that I be still. It does not ask me to swim, to navigate currents, to calculate tides, to read the weather. It asks only that I lower myself into it, one limb at a time, and let it do what water does when it is warm and contained: hold.
This is not a small thing, for someone like me. I am a planner. I research, I map, I time every connection and every meal. My itineraries are vessels I build carefully, and when the bus was cancelled in Ise and I had to buy a limited express ticket back to Toba, the tears I cried were not only about the cost. They were about the plan breaking. The onsen is the one place where I do not need the plan. I simply enter. The water already knows what to do. It has been doing it for centuries, in baths across Japan, for bodies far more weary than mine.
And yet I do not swim. I do not enter the water that has not been prepared for me. This is not cowardice, though I once worried that it was. It is a form of discernment. I know what kind of relationship I want with the element that could, in its untamed form, undo me. I choose the bath because I have made my peace with being held, and I am not yet ready—may never be ready—to be taken.
The Edge and the Immersion
There is a particular feeling I have come to recognize, standing at the boundary between land and sea. It is not quite fear, and it is not quite longing. It is the awareness of a threshold. On one side, the earth—solid, reliable, the place where I can stand. On the other, the water—beautiful, endless, and completely indifferent to my presence.
I have never crossed that threshold. I have let the waves touch my feet, perhaps. I have watched the horizon, the line where water meets sky, and felt the smallness that the sublime philosophers described. But I have never waded in, never let the sea take my weight, never trusted it to give me back. And I do not feel, anymore, that this is a failure. It is a choice. A recognition of limits, of the kind of trust I am willing to extend and the kind I am not.
The onsen, by contrast, is a threshold I cross willingly, again and again. The edge of the bath is not a warning but an invitation. The water inside has been waiting for me. It is warm. It is deep enough to cover my shoulders but not so deep that I cannot stand. It will not surprise me. It will not pull. It will hold me, for as long as I choose to stay, and then it will let me go.
The Same Element, Different Languages
Thales said water is the origin of everything. If that is true, then every bath, every ocean, every cup of tea and every rainstorm is the same substance, speaking in different dialects. The onsen speaks in the quiet, steady rhythm of warmth. The ocean speaks in the roar of something that does not need to be understood. I have chosen to learn the first language, and to let the second remain a mystery I observe from the shore.
Alan Watts wrote about the wisdom of insecurity—the understanding that you cannot cling to anything without watching it dissolve. The onsen is where I practice that wisdom in its gentlest form. I let go of the day, the itinerary, the weight I carry. I let the water hold me. And because I trust it to give me back, I can sink into it completely.
The ocean asks for a different kind of letting go—one I have not yet learned, one I may never learn. And that, too, is a kind of wisdom. Knowing which water to enter, and which to watch from the shore.
I soak because the bath asks nothing of me but stillness. I do not swim because the ocean asks for a surrender I am not required to give. Both are forms of respect. Both are ways of knowing water. And I have learned, across seven years of soaks and shorelines, that discernment is not the same as fear. It is the quiet, practiced art of knowing what kind of holding you need—and choosing it, again and again, with your whole chest, one warm bath at a time.

0 comments