Lake Akan (Kushiro of Hokkaido, Japan) - A place where all animal and nature lovers should visit

by - 1:17 AM

Image may contain: sky, tree, cloud, outdoor, water and nature
Bidding goodbyes to Marimo moss balls


It has certainly been a long time since I last posted. I just came back from a short trip to Eastern Hokkaido and I enjoyed every moment of it!

Now that I am back home, I can't contain my excitement to share about my favorite highlight of this journey - Lake Akan.

Located in Kushiro of Hokkaido, Japan, Lake Akan is one of the lakes formed by volcanic activities. Currently, what makes this place famous is their marimo moss balls, and also the beautiful views of Lake Akan offers! 

Here near Lake Akan has a good story that brings awareness to wildlife preservation. I was on a road trip with another few people from Obihiro to Kushiro. Before this trip, I have roughly heard about the indigenous tribe of Ainu, but coming here, the only thing I'd say is "I'm glad to be here".

In the following paragraphs I'll write about my itinerary and experience for my first day in Kushiro so read on!! 

🚙…~♪

After leaving Obihiro, we started our road trip through Ikeda Wine Castle and Boya Farm.

In Ikeda Wine Castle, you get to try Tokachi Wine (good fragrance!) and watch a sheepdog show in Boya Farm. Then, it is about an hour's drive to the stop that I have been really excited for: Ainu Theater Ikor (Ainu Kotan)!

This theater shows the history of the Ainu tribe, on their spiritual beliefs. The performance that I watched in the theater is titled Lost Kamuy. Though you hear Japanese throughout the performance, an English guide of the translation is handed out for you to read beforehand or to read after the show. 

In Ainu Theater Ikor, the theater has rows of seats. Some seats does not allow photography or videography (especially the front rows). If you wish to take photography/ videos of the performances it is reminded to sit at the back rows.

Image may contain: one or more people and indoor
Poster of Lost Kamuy

So, what is Ainu? Who are the Ainu people?

In Ainu language, 'Ainu' means 'people'. They are the people that have named many places of Hokkaido, and was at a point being discriminated, and only being recognized earlier of this year (but the recognition bill was rather vague, but let's leave this aside for now). 

The Ainu believed that there is a piece of soul, or rather, a part of the higher being in every being - be it animals, tools, the weather or even plants. Kamuy (read as Kamui) can be said as a form of spiritual being in the Ainu Mythologies. It is said that thanks to the Kamuy, life is created and humans are blessed with gifts from the nature.

As someone who has been contributing through donations for organizations such as WWF, I was having a mixed ball of emotions. Knowing that development and unethical hunting has killed many wild animals to the extent where the beloved Hokkaido wolves that the Ainu believed, and highly respected, were the best hunters, went into extinction, I was deeply saddened. However, I was also delighted that the performance has a great combination of traditional dances, outfit, and modern image projection that brings a powerful message. I hope the message gives a good, impactful message to the world to raise awareness of the environment. 


Image may contain: one or more people and people standingA drawing of an Ainu elder with a bear

While being amazed at the art and powerful projections, we also got invited to join the stage and dance along (though I think was really bad at following). After the end of the performance we got to take photos with them. Before leaving, I also noticed that the theater hall was beautifully decorated with traditional crafts and art.

Leaving Ainu Theater Ikor, we continued our road trip to our hotel in New Akan Hotel. However, as we realize that we need to get on the cruise soon (it's the last of the day, timetable here), we left our bags with the hotel concierge and sped our way to the cruise. Never did I know a cruise could be so beautiful!

We bought the 85-minute cruise that allows us to also see Marimo moss balls. The tickets are 2,000 JPY per person. 


Image may contain: 1 person
On the cruise, filter much lol

We were also given pamphlets about the cruise and marimo moss! 

It was autumn, and on the cruise it was windy. I absolutely loved the temperature but everyone else were feeling cold. I have a higher tolerance when it comes to cold so please don't ask me what to wear during spring/ autumn. Everyone else had a jacket and here I am being chill with a normal top.

Image may contain: 2 people, people smiling, sky, outdoor, water and nature
Difference of clothing worn

While everyone asked if it was cold, I said it's just nice (chilly in a good way, like hey you don't get this weather in Kuala Lumpur might as well as enjoy it). Well it was good until the sun sets. My hands finally felt like they were going to freeze towards the end of the cruise (*ノ∀`)アハハ八八

I am legit the only person with a normal top, like an alien among all. lol

Anyways back to the topic, so during this 85-minutes of cruise, we were also given 15 minutes to see the Marimo display. Let me just tell you that Marimo are adorable and bouncy in the waters. I was also told that they 'reproduce' and have little baby marimos (ah my heart is weak when it comes to cute, tiny things).

As time was limited (we only had 15 minutes!!) I didn't manage to snap a lot of photos, and the following was my best shot for the marimos. For them to grow that huge it'd take hundreds of years! 

Marimo moss balls. They look so nice to touch!

Lake Akan, the home of these rare algae/ moss balls, is also famous for the nearby hot springs. You can stay in their hotels or you can also go for their hot springs with fees ranging from 500JPY to 1.5k JPY. 

After seeing the adorable Marimo, it is time to leave. On our way back, it is sunset time and the autumn colors are getting prettier as the sky turns orange-red.

Image may contain: sky, twilight, mountain, outdoor, nature and water
Lake Akan View

This place is considered the national park of Japan for its beauty and the minimized human interference of development. 

By the end of the cruise, we've checked in to the hotel and had our dinner. In New Akan Hotel, we got a lakeview room but in the evening we can't see anything because it's too dark. Our rooms are very comfortable, and you can also take the futon and sleep on tatami too!

Image may contain: sky, cloud, outdoor, water and nature
My room in New Akan Hotel

After checking in, we took some rest and proceeded to our dinner buffet. There is a large selection of food and we're trying our best to finish everything.

Image may contain: people sitting, table, food and indoor
Our dinner

After dinner, we walked to the activity that I have looked forward the most - Kamuy Lumina

Kamuy Lumina Promotional Image

Kamuy Lumina. It is an activity that is fairly new, and was only introduced during July of 2019. Loving illuminations and forest walks myself, I can't wait to see what is being offered and needless to say I was absolutely pleased!

Kamuy Lumina has became one of my favorite activities - or I'd say, the highlight of our trip. This is an activity that I absolutely would recommend to everyone! I want to also come back to this night walk with a big group of friends and my loved ones. 

This is an interactive night walk experience near Lake Akan. It is not tiring as you will see different stops with looping images, so no fears on missing out as well. Hence, you can walk at your own pace and you are supported by a glowing walking stick too (there it is called rhythm staff) that has audios coming out. The walking stick helps a lot for someone with a bad back like me. (○´艸`)

Before the walk of 1.2km, you will be briefed in English/ Japanese so no worries on not knowing what to do! With the staff you are turned into warriors that fights as a messenger and goes on a mission.

I did not take good photos for Kamuy Lumina (my video recording only had sounds lol) but I would say that it is very impactful. It brings a powerful message while low-key combines the Ainu beliefs on Kamuy. I'll show a video of Kamuy Lumina's promotional video to let you have a feel of this activity.




This walk has an interesting story about nature losing its animals where animals are running into extinction (returning to the Kamuy. Because of human's greed, the higher being (Kamuy/ Kamui) is thoroughly enraged and decided to take back what was given to humans. The owl and jay bird is working hard to give humans a second chance and we are here to help them!

As we get amused with the technology and nature while looking at cute, fluffy deer tails, we enjoyed the illumination that gives out a mysterious vibe of the forests near lake Akan. On this day, we walked in the night of full moon at the best timing. It was absolutely beautiful and unforgettable. In this walk, you will get emotionally immersed throughout the journey full of fun with friends while also being touched at the messages that serves as a reminder that we should all work towards good environmental protection.

Currently, this night walk is currently Japanese-dubbed, but good news to everyone! They will have English subtitles for the walk soon! If all goes well, it will launch in 2020! So perhaps it is a good time to prepare for your trip in 2020? ;) 

After the walk, we had a short walk back to our hotel and enjoyed the open air hot spring + spa. It was very relaxing and throws your fatigue away! The following morning, at 5AM they are also open so if you enjoy morning baths, definitely New Akan Hotel will give you a pleasant experience! 

Although this is not everything about Kushiro, but I shall end my post here.
I will write more about Lake Mashu that is not far from Lake Akan again when I find time. ^^

Until next time! ☆

You May Also Like

0 comments