Day 3 in Kyushu, Japan: A Day in Beppu with an Affordable Private Hot Spring Ryokan!
Hello everyone, I'm back to write about my second day in Japan! In my previous post My friends and I have traveled from Hakata and had a relaxing day in Mojiko and Kokura! And to further enjoy our relaxing trip, Beppu is THE place we'll be heading to! Being the onsen town, we figured it's the best to have a scenic journey and end our day with a private hot spring!
Content Overview
- Departure from Kokura
- Beppu Hot Spring Town, we're here!
- Beppu Ropeway
- Reimen Lunch at Ikkyu no Namida
- Umi no Jigoku
- Enjoying Private Hot Spring at Shin-An Ryokan!
- Other recommendation
Departure from Kokura
![]() |
| Roadside station Buzen-Okoshikake / 道の駅 豊前おこしかけ |
![]() |
| On our way~ |
![]() |
| Just looking at how long my shadow looked could probably let you tell how early we were here lol |
![]() |
| Warabi mochi and Mitarashi dango for breakfast |
Scenic Beppu Hot Spring Town, we're here!
![]() |
| I did NOT prepare myself for this... |
Beppu Ropeway
![]() |
| Ropeway Station View from Parking Lot |
![]() |
| View from the gondola |
![]() |
| Looking back, I still couldn't believe I hiked this place in a knee-length skirt |
![]() |
| Not even kidding when I said there's snow |
![]() |
| Nothing beats a nice chocolate ice cream in a cold weather |
![]() |
| Hello little lake! |
Reimen Lunch at Ikkyu no Namida
![]() |
| Ikkyu no Namida |
![]() |
| Interior of the shop |
![]() |
| The accidental Michelin meal that we didn't even know we had back then |
Umi no Jigoku
![]() |
| Cobalt-blue water |
![]() |
| A relaxing trip comes with a relaxing drink — time for beer! |
![]() |
| Cheers! |
![]() |
| Iron-red spring |
![]() |
| Oh, to be a frog... |
![]() |
| Umi no Jigoku foot bath |
Enjoying Private Hot Spring at Shin-an Ryokan!
![]() |
| Entrance of our house |
![]() |
| Being excited was just an understatement. You have no idea how much I LOVE futons! |
![]() |
| Futons |
![]() |
| Downstairs - yes we had a lot of stuff and it's kinda messy (but we cleaned up before checking out!) |
![]() |
| This is our bedroom with my futon being set! I set the pink one myself, hehe! |
Meanwhile, I spent some time downstairs to enjoy the warm, welcoming environment with some music played through their speakers. It might not be the luxury of KAI Beppu, but it has its own unique charm and character that makes it special. The plus point of Shin-an is so close to restaurants, that there was actually no need for them to serve meals. They have also provided us a guidebook and recommendations of nearby restaurants, so we picked some restaurants to visit and had a nice dinner! Thanks to their service, we saved a lot of money and had more in our budget to have another night in another ryokan in Takachiho!
![]() |
| Indoor hot spring |
![]() |
| Rotenburo |
On the other hand, I personally do not care much when it comes to hot springs, be it public or private. But I enjoy open-air baths (rotenburo) more than indoor baths! Not to mention, I can adjust the temperature between 40°C and 60°C. While the rotenburo may be smaller than the indoor bath here in Shin-an, the three of us managed to find a comfortable corner each, and still managed to chat while enjoying the warmth of the waters in the breezy autumn evening.
![]() |
| A little soak before bedtime too |
![]() |
| Dyson hair dryer! |
With a full day of journey, even though we might have not seen everything this place had to offer, it was a relaxing day nonetheless. It was also a reminder that Beppu isn’t just about its famous hot springs—it’s also a place to connect with nature and find moments of tranquility, and I certainly hope I can come back again soon!
Other recommendations
- Steamed Pudding at Okamotoya
- Steamed pudding from Beppu is a delightful local treat that perfectly captures the charm and creativity of the city. Imagine a soft, moist, and slightly dense pudding with a rich, custard-like texture—almost like a cross between a classic flan and a steamed cake. It’s gently sweet, with a smooth, velvety mouthfeel that just melts in your mouth.
- The other jigoku
- Each jigoku has their own uniqueness! If you have extra time, you can definitely visit each and every one of them, as listed below!
- 鬼山地獄 (Oniyama Jigoku)
- かまど地獄 (Kamado Jigoku)
- 鬼石坊主地獄 (Oniishibozu Jigoku)
- 海地獄 (Umi Jigoku)
- 白池地獄 (Shiraike Jigoku)
- 龍巻地獄 (Tatsumaki Jigoku)
- 血の池地獄 (Chinoike Jigoku)
- Sand bath at Beppu Beach Sand Bath
- As the name suggests, here, you can literally bury yourself in naturally heated volcanic sand, letting its warmth soothe your muscles and calm your mind!
- Yukemuri Observatory
- If you have time during the sunset, come here for a bird’s-eye view of Beppu’s iconic steam rising from countless hot springs across the town!






























0 comments