Is Tokyo an Overrated City? - Perhaps.
It has been quite a while since I've last blogged! I have been working in a Japanese travel agency and life has never been so busy where I can find something to do, because it was the peak of travel season to Japan!
But I have seen a strange trend: Everyone wants to go to Tokyo, and I kind of do not understand why.
Here are 7 reasons why I personally think Tokyo is kind of overrated:
1. DisneyLand and DisneySea are actually not in Tokyo.

To some's surprise, Disneyland and Disneysea is a place that many would go when they visit Tokyo, but to many's surprise, they are actually not in Tokyo! They are located in Chiba prefecture (now you know why it takes so long to visit Disneyland from Shinjuku).
Holiday seasons are worse. With the holiday crowd, I'd say that every ride had wait times of over 3 hours. Definitely a place to go if you wish to test your patience.
(No worries, this place is still as magical and dreamy for all princesses out there! Avoid Friday~Monday in general!)
2. Transportation is not cheap.
| Looking at the Tokyo Metro Map alone would give people headaches |
For first-time visitors visiting Japan, navigating around Tokyo is a lot of headache! Boarding the wrong train, going to the wrong platform in the crazily large Tokyo Station (Shinjuku Station too!), not knowing Japanese is one of the biggest problems too (thanks to technology life is slightly easier!). Transfers are not exactly easy without a little knowledge and sense of direction as well.
(Getting lost is also what gives you a different travelling experience!)
3. Trains are crowded. Everywhere popular in Tokyo is crowded.
![]() |
| Crowded JR Train |
Although it is not crowded all the time, but they are definitely scarily crowded for school/ work hours! The scariest time is also the times when there is the last train! Everyone just rushes into the trains and if you are that much of a risk-taker to party until the last train's timing, be prepared to be squished like the sardines in a sardine can! If you have a train transfer on your way back, you might want to reconsider your life choices.
4. Too much of time needed to go around. Way too much.
5. Sexual Harrassment. It happens too.

6. Harajuku is no longer the Harajuku we knew.


7. Robotic, cold and depressed society.



0 comments