Kumamoto Castle: Learning about Earthquake Resilience with Samurai Secrets and Student Swarms
The Parking Gamble and Wakuwakuza Combo Trick
![]() |
| The color scheme, the design, everything here left us in awe |
Kato Kiyomasa: The Demon Daimyō Who Built to Last
Architecture That Outsmarted Ninjas
![]() |
| Leaving Wakuwakuza behind as we left for Kumamoto Castle |
![]() |
| On our way to Tenshukaku |
Kuragari-Tsuro: The Dark Passage
![]() |
| I've cranked up my image brightness quite a bit for this photo |
The Vision of Kato Kiyomasa (1601-1607)
![]() |
| A replica exhibited in the castle itself, and the details are so beautiful I stood before it for so long! |
- Uto Turret: The only original 17th-century keep surviving wars and earthquakes
- Ishigaki Stone Walls: 13km of curved barriers using natural volcanic rock
- Kurogane Gate: Iron-reinforced doors resistant to cannon fire
The Satsuma Rebellion: A Castle Under Siege (1877)
![]() |
| Entering Tenshukaku |
The Ghost Rooms and Earthquake Scars
Modern Trials: Earthquakes and Restoration (2016-Present)
![]() |
| Students, students everywhere |
- Tenshukaku (Main Keep): Reopened in 2021 with shock-absorbing base isolators
- Kenmotsu Yagura Turret: Restored using 17th-century joinery techniques
- Naga-Bei Long Wall: 2,200 reclaimed stones reset via 3D mapping
Crowd Combat 101: Reaching the Observatory
![]() |
| The view I fought my way upstairs for |
- ☠️ Extra long wait queue for the observatory elevator AND the stairs
- 📸 Dodging taking pictures of children everywhere (please refrain from uploading images of their faces whenever possible)
- 🎧 Secret weapon for focus: Noise-canceling headphones because it's noisy EVERYWHERE
Souvenir Wars: Kumamon vs Honey Soft Serve
![]() |
| Kumamon Treats! |
- 🍯 Honey Soft Serve (700 yen – pricey but worth every bite)
- 👹 Basashi Sushi (Yes, that's horse meat – adventurous, but it was great and none of us chickened out!)
- 📿 Kumamon Omikuji (I only gotten a “medium luck”)
Visiting Practicalities
Closed: December 29
Admission:
- Castle Only: ¥800 (Adult), ¥300 (Child)
- Combo (Castle + Wakuwakuza): ¥850 – Purchase at either location
Guided Tours: English audio guides available upon request (based on availability)
Key Takeaways and Tips
![]() |
| The squid tastes so good I wished I had more, but I really don't want to queue all over again lol |
- 🚗 Parking: Arrive early if you're renting a car Times Car Rental – we snagged the last parking spot right next to Wakuwakuza!
- 🎟️ Tickets: Wakuwakuza combo saves you some yen – buy the combo tickets!
- 🗺️ Guides: If you'd like to check out the restoration progress, check the official website here











0 comments